From PEOPLE and Four M Studios
Debuts on ABC, Wednesday, August 22 and Thursday, August 23.
Featuring Gloria Allred, Jess Cagle, Chris Connelly, Rebecca Jarvis, Aaron Korsh, Andrew Morton and More
ABC, PEOPLE and Four M Studios will present “The Story of the Royals,” a two-night, four-hour prime-time television event documenting the fascinating lives of the British royal family. Featuring an extraordinary panel of experts and voices, “The Story of the Royals – Part One” airs WEDNESDAY, AUG. 22 (9:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), and “The Story of the Royals – Part Two” airs THURSDAY, AUG. 23 (9:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.
“The Story of the Royals” will explore pivotal moments in the crown’s history beginning with a simple question: How exactly did we get here? The multipart series captures the mystique of the monarchy through its many loves, losses, extravagances, challenges and charms. With Prince William and Kate’s new royal baby and Prince Harry’s recent marriage to Meghan Markle, the Windsors have truly begun to modernize and resemble a 21st-century family. “The Story of the Royals” will illustrate that evolution as well as examine the American obsession behind all things royal.
First look at “The Story of the Royals” revealed HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3KX28JQQU&feature=youtu.be
“The Story of the Royals” brings together an impressive company of friends, former staff members and royal experts to help illustrate this fascinating story (listed alphabetically by first name):
Aaron Korsh, creator of “Suits”
- Alastair Bruce, Sky News correspondent
- Andrew Morton, author of “Diana: Her True Story”
- Anna Whitelock, author of “The Queen’s Bed: An Intimate History of Elizabeth’s Court”
- Arianne Chernock, author of “Men and the Making of Modern British Feminism”
- Bob Woodruff, ABC News anchor
- Cele Otnes, author of “Royal Fever”
- Charles Anson, former press secretary to The Queen
- Chris Connelly, ABC News contributor
- Christine Knudsen, theology department chair at Immaculate Heart High School
- Colleen Harris, former press secretary to Prince Charles
- Cornelia Guest, goddaughter of Edward VIII & Wallis Simpson
- Daniel Martin, Meghan Markle’s makeup artist
- David Wiseman, The Royal Foundation
- Dr. Harvey Young, Meghan Markle’s former theater professor
- Dr. Sue Varma, professor of psychiatry at NYU Langone
- Elizabeth Anson, cousin of Queen Elizabeth II
- Emma Bridgewater, royal ceramics manufacturer
- Gloria Allred, women’s rights attorney
- Harry Benson, celebrity photographer
- Hugo Vickers, royal biographer
- James Deutsch, folklorist, curator
- Jane Stevens, lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret
- Jess Cagle, editor-in-chief, PEOPLE
- Lady Jane Rayne, maid of honor at The Queen’s coronation
- Laura Mayhall, author of “Women’s Suffrage in the British Empire”
- Maria Pollia, theology teacher at Immaculate Heart High School
- Mark Stewart, royal photographer
- Myka Meier, etiquette instructor
- Patrick Jephson, former private secretary to Princess Diana
- Penny Junor, royal biographer
- Phillip Norman, author of “Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation”
- Rebecca Jarvis, ABC News correspondent
- Robert Lacey, author of “Monarch: The Life and Reign of Elizabeth II”
- Sarah Bradford, royal biographer
- Sarah Gristwood, author of “Game of Queens”
- Wynne Frankum, chair of the Bucklebury Parish Council
- Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, journalist
This marks the second time that ABC, PEOPLE and Four M Studios (formerly Time Inc. Productions) will partner on a two-night documentary event about the royal family. In August 2017, they teamed up for “The Story of Diana,” which marked the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana’s tragic passing at 36 years old. “The Story of Diana” Parts One and Two debuted to impressive ratings, winning the two-hour timeslot over two consecutive nights.
“The Story of the Royals” is produced for ABC by Emmy® Award-winning Four M Studios and Maggievision Productions. Emmy Award-winning producer and director Maura Mandt is the executive producer, along with director Rebecca Gitlitz. Executive producers from Four M Studios and PEOPLE are Bruce Gersh, Ian Orefice, Jess Cagle and Dan Wakeford. Four M Studios will distribute the documentary in international territories.
About ABC Entertainment
ABC Entertainment airs compelling programming across all day parts, including the No. 1 new drama on television, “The Good Doctor,” and the return of “American Idol”; in addition to upcoming new dramas “A Million Little Things” and “The Rookie,” starring Nathan Fillion; new comedies “The Kids Are Alright” and “Single Parents”; and the new prime-time talk show, “The Alec Baldwin Show.” The ABC Television Network is also home to the groundbreaking dramas “How to Get Away with Murder” and “Grey’s Anatomy”; the Emmy®Award-winning “Modern Family” and trailblazing comedy favorites “black-ish,” “American Housewife,” “Fresh Off the Boat,” “The Goldbergs,” “Speechless” and midseason breakout, “Splitting Up Together”; hit game shows “The $100,000 Pyramid,” “Celebrity Family Feud,” “Match Game” and “To Tell the Truth”; reality phenomenon “Shark Tank,” iconic “The Bachelor” franchise, long-running hits “Dancing with the Stars” and “America’s Funniest Home Videos”; “General Hospital,” which has aired for over 50 years on the network; and late-night talk show “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” The network also boasts some of television’s most prestigious awards shows, including “The Oscars®,” “The CMA Awards” and “The American Music Awards.”
Meredith Corporation’s PEOPLE revolutionized personality journalism when it launched as a weekly in 1974 with a mission to celebrate extraordinary people doing ordinary things and ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Ubiquitous and still at the center of pop culture more than 40 years later, the PEOPLE brand is accessible across all media and platforms (print, digital, video, OTT, mobile, social) bringing more than 100 million consumers a unique mix of breaking entertainment news, exclusive photos, video, unparalleled access to the red carpet, celebrities, and in-depth reporting on the most compelling newsmakers of our time. An essential component of PEOPLE’s editorial vision remains human interest stories, which touch and often mirror the lives of our passionate audience. ComScore ranks the PEOPLE/Entertainment Weekly Digital Network No. 1 in the entertainment news category. And now, the PeopleTV app offers a free, advertiser-supported OTT streaming video service. PEOPLE is an award-winning 24/7 news organization headquartered in NYC with reporters worldwide. For more information visit PEOPLE.com and follow @people on Twitter and Instagram, @peoplemag on Facebook, and the PEOPLE channel on YouTube and on Snapchat’s Discover.
About Four M Studios
Four M Studios (formerly Time Inc. Productions), the television production division of Meredith, is a full-service production company creating premium long-form content distributed on all platforms globally. Formed in 2016, the division touts an in-house award-winning creative team, state-of-the-art studios and post-production facilities in New York and Los Angeles. The content and spirit of Meredith’s powerful and trusted iconic brands provide unlimited inspiration for Four M Studio shows. The Studio also develops shows independent of Meredith brands. The group won an Emmy in 2017 for “A Year in Space” on PBS, and its shows have aired on or are in development with ABC, Apple, Netflix, Paramount Network, FOX, A&E, Investigation Discovery and other major networks.
About Meredith Corporation
Meredith Corporation (NYSE:MDP) (www.meredith.com) has been committed to service journalism for 115 years. Today, Meredith uses multiple distribution platforms — including broadcast television, print, digital, mobile and video — to provide consumers with content they desire and to deliver the messages of its advertising and marketing partners.
Meredith’s National Media Group reaches nearly 175 million unduplicated American consumers every month, including 80 percent of U.S. millennial women. Meredith is a leader in creating content across media platforms and life stages in key consumer interest areas, such as celebrity, food, lifestyle, home, parenting, beauty and fashion. Meredith also features robust brand licensing activities, including more than 3,000 SKUs of branded products at 4,000 Walmart stores across the U.S., and The Foundry, the company’s state-of-the-art creative lab and content studio. Meredith’s Local Media Group includes 17 television stations reaching more than 11 percent of U.S. households.