By Valerie Milano
Los Angeles, CA (The Hollywood Times) 5/8/21 – Mother’s Day is tomorrow and if you’ve been consumed with life and work this week, you are not alone! There is still time to plan a perfect and special day for the leading lady in your life, mom!
Moskato Life Wines is proud to partner with renowned, Florida-based agency, Four Life Promotions, to sponsor its inaugural Recess Mother’s Day Brunch and Day Party. With the sponsorship of Moskato Life, mothers who are 21 years and older can attend Recess for free.
Attendees will indulge in a brunch style menu including chicken and waffles, assorted fruit and pasta, and of course, unlimited “MOMosa” Mimosas made with Moskato Life flavors: Peach, Rose and Strawberry.
“Mothers are the glue to their families. They do so much behind the scenes and often, they come last in their own life. We wanted to give moms a special moment to let their hair down with no worries, just good vibes,” says Corey Tumer, owner of Four Life Promotions.
But if you can’t attend the party, The Hollywood Times is bringing you a taste of Florida cooking just in time for the big day.
We talked to Alfreda “Chef Free” Cook to get the details on how to create the most delicious dish for mom! She even gave us the perfect refreshing beverage to pair her meal with!
- Chef Free, tell us about yourself!
Chef Free: I am a self-taught chef who was inspired by my grandmothers. I remember how both my maternal and paternal grandmothers brought our families together, making meals from scratch. When I was about 15, I knew that cooking was my thing and over the years, I have gotten better and better. I officially launched my company, Cooked by ACook, LLC in 2020.
What would you say that you are most known for?
Chef Free: I love to cook all kinds of food. Being that I am Florida bred, Southern comfort foods are my go-to. I would have to say however, that I have made a name for myself for my seafood! It is mouth watering! I have been blessed to be booked for catering events throughout the east coast and clients love my seafood.
For those that would like to host an intimate Mother’s Day celebration at home for mom, what would you suggest?
Chef Free: It would have to be my signature, Chef Free’s Authentic Seafood Rice. Trust me, mom is gonna love it—here is my recipe! Make sure that you add some extra joy and love during the process!
Chef Free’s Authentic Seafood Rice Paired with Moskato Life Wine Peach
Prep Time: 10 minutes • Cook Time: 30-32 minutes • Total Time: 40-42 minutes • Servings: 6 people
- 1/2 lb Uncle John or Conecuh sausage (dice it)
- 1 lb uncooked deveined shrimp
- 1/2 lb crawfish tail meat
- 8 oz. tub authentic lump crab meat (I love the Publix brand)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced bell pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic (mince the garlic)
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of liquid crab-shrimp boil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain jasmine rice
- 1 pinch of salt (or use to taste)
- 1 pinch of pepper (or use to taste)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped green onion or fresh parsley for garnish
- In a nonstick Dutch oven or 5 quart pot heat the olive oil
- Add in the sausage and sauté until browned
- Once browned, remove sausage from the pot and set aside
- Deshell crawfish (Save the juice from deshelling! We are using it later!)
- You should see the browned drippings from sausage in pot. Add the dry white wine and stir to lift the drippings that are stuck to the pot
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter and stir until melted
- Add the shrimp, crab meat, and crawfish meat to the pot
- Sauté while adding 2 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning
- Once you see that the shrimp are cooked (pink) reduce heat. This will take no more than 2 ½ minutes. Once both sides of shrimp are done, the crawfish and crab meat are too. Please DO NOT overcook the shrimp, crab meat and crawfish.
- Remove shrimp, crab and crawfish meat (set aside with sausage)
- Add 3 tablespoons of the butter into the pot.
- Once the butter melts, add the minced garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes until soft
- Add in diced onion and bell pepper and sauté until al dente (this is about 2 minutes DO NOT make them too soft or they will get mushy)
- Add in the crawfish juice, chicken broth, and liquid crab-shrimp boil
- Bring the broth to a simmer and add the turmeric, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and bay leaves
- Taste and add pinch of salt and pepper (or amount needed to your desire. Please do not go overboard)
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Stir in the rice and reduce heat and cover the pot with the lid
- Cook for 20-22 minutes or until the water evaporates and rice is fluffy
- Add in the sausage, shrimp, crab and crawfish and fold it (stir in) seafood and sausage into rice until it is reheated (in hot rice)
- Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley
Photo Credit: Byrd Vision Photography Co.
Pair This Meal With Moskato Life Peach
Enjoy this delicious, yet easy meal with mom paired with crisp and refreshing Moskato Life Peach. There is no sweeter taste than success. However, Moskato Life Peach perfectly captures the sweet and delicate flavors of a newly ripened peach.
With its combination of light carbonation and sweetness,it’s the optimal choice to pair with Chef Free’s Authentic Seafood Rice. If you’re not a fan of peach, try the Rose or Strawberry flavors! Moskato Life embodies the notion that the simplest of moments of life are worthy of celebrating, and doing so affordably. Cheers to you, Mom! If you are 21 years and older, find Moskato Life near you at here.