With summer winding down and back-to-school season in full swing, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released a trio of reports to celebrate the holiday weekend. WalletHub’s Best Labor Day Sales & Deals report gives shoppers a roadmap to savings. Its Labor Day Spending Survey offers insights into the psyche of American consumers. And its Labor Day Fun Facts report helps to educate and entertain consumers with stats on all aspects of the holiday – from hotdogs and history to financials and 5Ks. You can find highlights from each below.
- Engagement rings are the best items to buy in September, relative to the rest of the year.
- 2017’s 10 best Labor Day deals are:
|1. La-Z-Boy Aspen Rocker Recliner – 62.10% off||6. Segway miniPRO Scooter – 30.00% off|
|2. Samsung 4-Piece Kitchen Package – 33.32% off||7. Kenmore Top Load Washer – 28.57% off|
|3. HP 14” Laptop with Intel® Inside™- 33.33% off||8. HP LaserJet Pro M203dw Printer – 35.18% off|
|4. Select Mattress Queen Sets – 61.11% off||9. 10-Pc. Queen Comforter Sets – 46.43% off|
|5. Coleman RoadTrip Grill LXE – 35.00% off||10. Samsung 1080p Smart LED TV – 58.33% off|
- 57% of Americans plan to make Labor Day-related purchases. The average Labor Day weekend shopper is expected to spend $58.
- Clothes (43%), school supplies (22%) and electronics (12%) are the most popular items on people’s Labor Day shopping lists.
- 26% of Americans spent no money on travel this summer.
- 25% – of Americans plan to get out of town for Labor Day weekend.
- 662 Million – Vacation days that went unused by American workers in 2016.
- $250+ Billion – Annual cost of worker injury and illness in the U.S.