CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Los Angeles and New York – The Writers Guild of America, West (WGAW) and the Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) have announced the submission period is now open for the 2017 WGA Documentary Screenplay Award, honoring outstanding achievement in documentary feature writing. Submissions will be accepted from August 15 through November 18, 2016.
Qualifications for WGA Documentary Screenplay Award eligibility include:
- Theatrical documentaries must have been written under the WGA’s Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA) or under a bona fide collective bargaining agreement of the Writers Guild of Canada, Writers’ Guild of Great Britain, Writers Guild of Ireland, Writers’ Guild of South Africa, New Zealand Writers Guild, Film Writers’ Association (India), La Guilde Francaise des Scénaristes (France), Scriptwriters Guild of Israel, the Société des Auteurs de Radio, Télévision et Cinéma (Québec) or Verband Deutscher Drehbuchautoren (VDD/Germany) (collectively, “affiliate Guilds”).
- Documentaries must contain an on-screen writing credit and have been exhibited theatrically in Los Angeles or New York for at least one week during 2016.
- The deadline for submissions is 5:30 p.m. (PST) Friday, November 18, 2016.
- Scripts must be feature length (more than 40 minutes).
- Documentaries that received their first public exhibition via broadcast or cable television are not eligible for WGA awards consideration.
- Foreign-language films are eligible, provided they feature English-language subtitles.
WGA Documentary Screenplay nominees, as well as Original and Adapted Screenplay nominees, will be announced on Wednesday, January 4, 2017.