The 2016 “MTV Video Music Awards” will air LIVE from New York’s Madison Square Garden this Sunday, August 28th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. This iconic awards show has created some of TV’s most memorable moments, from Madonna’s wardrobe malfunctions to Kanye’s presidential bid, you don’t want to miss what happens this year! The VMA’s will be returning to their roots by coming to New York but this is the first time Madison Square Garden has been the home of the VMA’s in the shows’ 33-year history.
Following are fun facts and photos of the most iconic VMA moments.
VMAS – TOP MOMENTS PHOTOS
“The MTV Video Music Awards” Will Air LIVE on Sunday, August 28th at 9:00 P.M. ET/PT from Madison Square Garden in New York, NY
VMAS – FUN FACTS
- The first VMAs were at Radio City Music Hall on September 14, 1984 and were hosted by Dan Aykroyd and Bette Midler.
- 2013, the Moonman statue was redesigned for the first time in 30 years by Brooklyn artist KAWS the redesign was done in honor of the VMAs’ first time in Brooklyn. The award was redesigned again by Jeremy Scott for the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards which were held in LA.
- In 1997, Foo Fighters guitarist Pat Smear announced that he was leaving the band half way through their performance and then introduced his replacement, Franz Stahl.
- MTV VMA 1999 plays host to a first time meeting between the mothers of Tupac Shakur and The Notorious B.I.G.
- At the 2001 VMAs Britney Spears did an epic I’m a slave 4 U performance while dancing in a cage with a live tiger and soon after wrapping a python around her neck.
- In 2010, Lady Gaga’s gown required 50 pounds of meat. Gaga dubbed it “the most comfortable dress of the night” and had told the designer the dress smelled good.
- In 2014, Katy Perry and Riff Raff showed up in matching denim
- N’Sync reunited at the MTV Video Music Awards 2013, the same year Justin Timberlake was honored with the Video Vanguard Award
- Madonna has won more Moonmen than Michael Jackson, in fact Michael Jackson doesn’t even make it in the top ten of artists who have won the most VMAs. With the top three being Madonna with 20, Beyonce with 15 and Peter Gabriel comes in third with 13.
- Over 150 formal complaints were sent to the FCC over Miley Cirus and Robin Thicke’s infamous twerk in 2014.
- Best Artist Website and Ringtone of the Year are just two forgotten categories that you can no longer win Moonmen for.
- Kanye West was not the only person to interrupt a winner on stage, the first incident happened at the 1994 VMAs when Beastie Boys’ Adam Yauch interrupted R.E.M.’s Acceptance Speech for Breakthrough Video.
- P!nk accepted her first Moonman while drunk, when winning for “Get the Party Started” in 2002 she told the audience “I’m too drunk for this”
- Justin Bieber became the youngest person to win a VMA for “Baby” in 2010 before him the honor belonged to Avril Lavigne who won for Best New Artist in a Video in 2002